ECC Core Values
Core Values of Eastern Christian College
The College in pursuance to the dynamic changes taking place in higher education has been able to come to terms with the Core Values of the NAAC. The institution has so far managed to achieve the success story of which may be briefly stated as below:
- Contribution by the institution towards National Development: The College since its inception has been able to produce a genre of people with clarity of vision and astute moral integrity. These educated people have been engaged in different fields of activities around the country fostering National Unity and harmony to usher in a fertile atmosphere conducive to socio-economic growth. They are working in different government, private and non-governmental organizations leading the wheel of the country towards the safe destination out of the contemporary turbulent sea of socio-political setbacks the country has to witness from time to time. Some of them have ventured across the sea and have deservingly settled themselves in the international arena to get the light of talent and potential human resource that the country possesses shine beyond the borders. They have been frequently bringing back their experience of excellence they gained from those countries to invest it in their own country for the furtherance of its all round development. Because of their miniscule contribution to national development, the institution is proud to have these imprints in its own root.
- Quest for Excellence: Over the course of the last two decades, the college has been able to establish its reputation as one of the best institutions of higher education in a tribal region of at least two million people in the State, alongside receiving students from neighboring states of Assam, Arunachal Pradesh, Meghalaya, and Manipur. The college has been providing the right environment for the teachers to get them inspired to be absolutely dedicated and extremely sincere in their approach to the enlightenment of the students. With the rare combination of highly dedicated teachers and the students who are mostly fair to meddling coming from the interior tribal areas, the institution has the bigger challenges and has been on the right track in its pursuit of excellence.
- Promoting the use of Technology: The institution has undertaken corresponding changes by installing the LCD projectors in the classrooms for creating interest in the topic and in the seminar hall for power point presentation. There are weekly seminars in every department on Saturdays and these audio-visual aids have been proved extremely helpful. Most of the departments of the college have been provided with laptop computers and computer related teaching equipments. The teachers use printed hand-outs, whenever necessary, to maximize the involvement of the students in the teaching-learning process.
- Inculcation of value system in students: The institution realizes the importance of inculcating the positive values of the society in the minds of its students. Outmost care is taken to rid the students of narrow tribalism and communalism. They are inspired to foster true scientific curiosity and thinking to counter the artificial, superstitions and demonic influence of parochial vistas that the dark side of the society often tries to impinge upon them. The teachers of the college are highly motivated to get the students learn the necessity of respecting the elders and maintaining a balance in social behavior between healthy plus radically liberal visions of life and the old but worthwhile traditional values. They are taught to get themselves purged off the anachronistic and dangerous social dogmas. The main aim and objective of education in the college is to build rational, scientific and curious minds. After all, it’s the scientific values and not the doctrinal and dogmatic ones that can reshape the troubled contour of our socio-cultural life across the country.
- Healthy relationship between teachers and students: The College believes that without a proper medium of interaction no communication is possible. The most important medium of interaction is in reality the ease and comfort that the students feel when they are in touch with the teachers. Unless the confidence level of the students is built up to the point of ease of conversation with the teachers, the entire process of teaching-learning will only be half-hearted. So, the teachers of the college often invite the students for tutorial classes where they can discuss not only academic issues but also personal problems that need immediate solution. The teachers of the institution are known for friendship with the students. Compared to the boys, the girl students are observed to be more inclined to shy away from such communion, and utmost care is taken to get them out of their inhibitions. Especially, the lady teachers arrange informal meetings with them to share their views on certain topics. These tactics have been very successful over the years. Even after they leave the college most of the students remain emotionally and academically attached to the teachers of their choice.
These healthy and meaningful bonds with the teachers have been instrumental in the achievement that the students manage to accumulate in the later part of their lives.